Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information
This information explains our schools arrangements for identifying, assessing and supporting children with special educational needs.
What are Special Educational Needs?
The statutory guidance in the Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice (2014) provides statutory guidance to schools relating to children with special educational needs and/or disabilities.
The code states that a child has Special Educational Needs if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.
A child has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:
- has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of other children of the same age,
- has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her making use of the facilities of a child generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools
Pupils with special educational needs and/or disabilities can fall into one or more of the following categories:
- Communication and Interaction
- Cognition and Learning
- Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
- Sensory and/or Physical Needs
Key questions and answers to support you and your child
- What should I do if I think my child has special educational needs?
- How will the school respond to my concern?
- How will the school know if my child needs extra support?
- What will the school do to support my child?
- Who will support my child?
- How will my child be involved in the process and be able to contribute their views?
- How will the curriculum be adapted to my child’s needs?
- How will the school prepare my child at points of transition?
- How will I be involved in supporting my child?
- What support does the school offer for improving social and emotional development?
- What measures does the school have in place to prevent bullying?
- What is SEND Support?
- What are the SEND Support Steps?
- Education, Health and Care needs assessments and plans
- Contacts/ Support
If you require a paper copy of any of the information here, please contact the school office.