This information explains our schools arrangements for identifying, assessing and supporting children with special educational needs.
What are Special Educational Needs?
The statutory guidance in the Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice (2014) provides statutory guidance to schools relating to children with special educational needs and/or disabilities.
The code states that a child has Special Educational Needs if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.
A child has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:
has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of other children of the same age,
has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her making use of the facilities of a child generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools
Pupils with special educational needs and/or disabilities can fall into one or more of the following categories:
- Communication and Interaction
- Cognition and Learning
- Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
- Sensory and/or Physical Needs
Key questions and answers to support you and your child
- What is the SEN Information Report?
- What are Special Educational Needs?
- What should I do if I think my child has special educational needs and how will the academy respond to my concerns?
- What will the academy do to support my child?
- What opportunities will there be to discuss my child's achievements?
- Who will support my child?
- Who else might be involved in supporting my child at the academy?
- How will I be involved in supporting my child?
- How will my child be involved in the process and be able to contribute their views?
- What support does the academy offer for improving social and emotional development?
- What measures does the school have in place to prevent bullying?
- How accessible is the academy environment?
- How will the curriculum be adapted to my child's needs?
- How will the academy prepare my child at points of transition?
If you require a paper copy of any of the information here, please contact the school office.